SHAHEED- E- AZAM UDHAM SINGH - THE GREAT REVOLUTIONARY



Yesterday 75th Death anniversary of Udham Singh has Passed. Many of Indians don’t have knowledge about Udham singh, Especially in South India. He was an Indian Revolutionary who assassinated Michael O’Dyer in 13th March 1940  . He is also called as Shaheed-i-Azam Sardar Udham Singh ( means “ the Great Martyr”).
Mr.Singh was Born in Sangrur District  of Punjab Province in 26th December 1899 . after his father’s death Singh and his elder brother Mukta Singh were taken to Central khalsa Orphanage in Amritsar, he completed his Matriculation in 1918 and he left the orphanage in 1919.
On 10th April 1919 A group of protesters gathered in Jallianwala Bagh Amritsar for protesting against the leaders Satya pal and Saifuddin Kitchlew  who are  arrested by the British Government  under Rowlett Act.
But the Police fired against the unarmed protesters who are unarmed and including women and children.the firing order given by General Reginald Dyer, Bagh  has only one exit gate ,that was blocked by Dyer’s force and started to fire without any order to disperse. According to government sources around 350 people were killed and Thousands of wounded in mass firing. Mr. Singh also wounded in the firing. Major Dyer’s Brutal act was supported and  the permission for firing has given by the Governor of Punjab Michael O’ Dyer. Therefore Singh Considered him as a major responsible person for the massacre.
He involved in revolutionary movements was influenced by Bhagat Singh.
In 1934 Mr. Singh reached in London and he planned to assassinate Dyer. On March 13,1940 there was a joint  meeting of East India Association and Central Asian Society  was Scheduled For Dyer for speech at Caxton Hall. He entered to the hall and Stood near the wall .when Dyer entered to speaking platform Singh went to the speaking platform and fired to Dyer twice. He did not attempt to flee and got arrested.
Udham Singh During The Arrest

During the trial before the Justice Atkinson Singh told that
 “I did it because I had a grudge against him. He deserved it. He was the real culprit. He wanted to crush the spirit of my people, so I have crushed him. For full 21 years, I have been trying to wreak vengeance. I am happy that I have done the job. I am not scared of death. I am dying for my country. I have seen my people starving in India under the British rule. I have protested against this, it was my duty. What a greater honour could be bestowed on me than death for the sake of my motherland? “
He got sentenced to death and hanged in Penton Ville Prison and his body buried within the Jail ground.
In 1974 Singh’s remains were exhumed and repatriated to India at the request of the MLA Sadhu Singh Thind. The casket were received by Mrs. Indira Gandhi , Sankar Dayal Sharma  and Gyani Zail Singh. Udham Singh later cremated on his Birthplace and his ashes scattered in Sutlej River.
Shaheed-e-Azam   imperialist executed only your body but they can’t execute your name, we can’t never forget Your Sacrification. You always lives in our Heart…JAI HIND



Comments